Thursday, July 25, 2013

10 June 1859

Friday, 10th. After a very unsatisfactory rest, I got up about four o'clock. There was nothing particular going on, but tugs coming and going between the vessel and the shore, which they continued doing all day. About one o'clock the emigration agent came on board, and we all had to appear before him. While at dinner a person I took for a missionary came around and intimated that, so soon as we were finished, there would be Divine service on board. Not knowing when we might have another opportunity, we attended it. The discourse appeared to me very good and impressive, and caused me to think more charitably of the man than his appearance led me to do at first. When he had finished his sermon, he said

"Before closing, I wish to mention that I intend, in a little publication (the Forget-Me-Not) with which I am connected, to give an account of my visit to the Tornado and the services and sermon I have delivered here. I shall also give an account of the vessel, the names etc of the captain and officers on board, which will, no doubt, be very interesting to all the friends you have left behind. Of course I cannot do all this at my own expense, but shall do so at yours; and any of you who wish may send a copy of the Forget-Me-Not to your friends will have an opportunity of doing so by handing me the names and addresses of those friends you may wish them sent to, with fourpence for each copy, and I shall have much pleasure in attending to your orders."

 This I thought savoured rather of Mammon. We were towed out to sea in the evening, and about midnight we were awakened by some one loudly roaring out "Murder". I jumped up hurriedly to ascertain what was ado, and tore the skin off my fingers in trying to open our berth door in the dark. When I got out I found the noise was caused by a poor fellow labouring under the attack of nightmare.

Our Voyage to New Zealand Per the Tornado (by a Glasgow Emigrant) Glasgow Herald December 19, 1859


June 10. Passengers all on board. Sermon preached before parting by the Liverpool Bethel preacher, Rev. Mr Bluck. Paid him four pence to send home a copy of the “Forget Me Not” newspaper published by him. Left the Mersey in the evening with two steam tugs. Beautiful night. Passengers retired to bed early.

Campbell, Alexander. Letters and papers, 1859 - 1870. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 50


This was a busy day shipping the remaining part of passengers luggage and ship stores for the voyage. In the forenoon The Government inspector came and examined our contract tickets and a doctor eyed us over to see if we were all right and a city missionary gave us some books and after dinner preached a very good sermon and promised to take an account of the ship to our friends in his paper called the Forget-me-not. I received a letter from Bentley and in the evening about half past six we weighed amidst the merry shouts of the sailors (...illegible) steam tug was towing us out into the mighty deep.

Booth, Thomas. Papers, 1857 - 1859. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2002/56.

No comments:

Post a Comment