Thursday, July 25, 2013

7- 9 June 1859

"On the 7th of June 1859 we left Glasgow per the Princess Royal for Liverpool where we arrived the following morning. There were several parties on board who we soon ascertained were bound for the same destination as ourselves and along with them got our luggage carted to the Tornado, which was only done after considerable trouble and annoyance. Afterwards, on the recommendation of a fellow passenger, we put up for the night at the "Crooked Billet". The next day we went on board the Tornado, and were towed out of dock in the evening to the middle of the harbour. My sensations during the night were anything but pleasant. I naturally felt somewhat melancholy at parting from the kind friends who had accompanied us from Scotland, and could get no sleep on account of the singing, loud talking etc of the different passengers. Towards morning there was a lull, and I was just about falling over, when I was aroused by someone calling out "Is there a John Fiddles* (or some name of that sort) among the passengers?" After the question was repeated two or three times, it was answered in the affirmative and someone went forward when the following colloquy took place:
"Are you Mr Fiddles?"
"Well Mr Fiddles, allow me to have the pleasure of introducing your wife to you"
Here there was a general guffaw, amidst which Fiddles returned to his berth with his spouse who, we supposed, he had been going to "bilk" for good and all."
 *There was no John Fiddles on board, so I am not sure which of the passengers was trying to abscond without his wife....

Our Voyage to New Zealand Per the Tornado (by a Glasgow Emigrant) Glasgow Herald December 19, 1859

"June 9 Embarked. Left Queens Dock at 1/2 past 2 and cast anchor in the river."
Campbell, Alexander. Letters and papers, 1859 - 1870. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 50.

"June 9th 1859 We left Doncaster by the GW railway ten minutes before seven amidst the tears and good wishes of a vast concourse of members. Relatives and friends who at that early hour had met at the station to give us their parting blessing. We make no attempt at describing our feelings or what was felt by those from whom at that memorable hour we parted perhaps to meet no more below. Accompanied by Bros. Wadsworth  and Marshall with Messers Atock and Arnold we arrived in Liverpool about half past eleven. With a great bustle all luggage was got down to the Queens Docks and after finding our berth which were all marked out in readiness shipped our boxes and then hurried back to procure a few utensils for our outfit. After our return to the ship we partook our first meal on board ship. We moved out of dock about four o'clock and anchored in the Mersey. As bedtime drew on we sang “When I Can Read My Title Clear” in which some of the passengers joined and drew up and listened with apparent interest. After which (illegible) inspected (?) (illegible)"
Substantial parts of this page have been torn off and so can't be read.
Booth, Thomas. Papers, 1857 - 1859. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2002/56.

No comments:

Post a Comment